Here are the top tips that will surely help you with well maintenance:
Don’t Ignore Preventative Maintenance
Preventative maintenance is an important element of well maintenance. It will reduce the chances of your well breaking down and your water getting contaminated. Well owners often think of preventative maintenance as wastage of money and wait for the problem to surface until they contact a professional for repair. Preventative maintenance is a smart move and you should incorporate it in your well maintenance routine if you wish to save money in the long run.
Know the Basics of Water Well Servicing
Before calling a professional for well servicing, you must know what the basics of the servicing process are. It includes four steps. The first one is a flow test to see how your well system is working coupled with monitoring the effects of pumping on water level, working of the pump motor, pressure tank and pressure switch, and assessing the quality of water.
The second step involves checking the well equipment to make sure it meets the local standards. The third step is a bacterial and chemical examination of the water to check if it is fit for consumption. Lastly, the professional service company should provide you with a written report of the results obtained.
Prepare a Well Maintenance Checklist
For proper well maintenance you must prepare a checklist and use it for maintaining your well. It should cover the following points:
- Make sure to use certified pump installers and well drillers.
- Schedule well maintenance tests every year or when you feel a change in the quality of water.
- Keep chemicals and waste materials away from your well.
- Regularly check the cover present on top of your well for faults and repair them immediately.
- Always make sure that the top of your well is one foot above the ground and there is a proper slope for drainage.
- Be careful while mowing your lawn. Leaves might fall into the well if the casing is broken.
- Keep all well maintenance reports and construction reports in one place.
- Get your well sealed after its useful life ends and get a new one constructed.
Always Contact a Professional for Well Service
Most well owners fail miserably while trying to service their private water well. Well cleaning companies have proper equipment and skilled professionals who are highly experienced in this field. Therefore, you should always hire a professional for well service instead of trying to do it yourself.